Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I saved the pineapple juice to use in a marinade for flank steak that we will have Sunday.


Also, I used the leftover chicken broth as part of the water for the rice. I also cooked more rice than needed to make fried rice this weekend.



This makes 4-6 servings, depending on the amount of chicken. This is a good left over lunch recipe--just keep the chicken and rice separated, reheat separate and then combine.







Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 lb to 1.5 lbs Chicken breasts or tenders, cut into chunks
1 egg beaten
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 Tbsp. flour

8 oz canned pineapple chunks
(I usually have the 15 oz cans, so I serve the leftovers to my kids.)
1 red pepper, cut into pieces (tonight I used 1/2 red and 1/2 of an orange pepper.)

sauce:
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. white distilled vinegar
1/2 C. chicken broth
3 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Combine flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Take chicken pieces and mix with beaten egg, and then mix with flour mixture to cover pieces. Brown chicken in a fry pan with hot oil on medium-high heat. Place in 9 x 13 baking dish. Add 1/2 can of pineapple (reserve juice and freeze for another meal if desired.)

Heat all sauce ingredients and pour over chicken and pineapple. Cook uncovered 350 degrees 45 minutes. Add peppers last 15 minutes of bake time. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

  1. Yummers! I know what I am making for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete