Friday, July 31, 2009

Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeno's

These jalapenos are from my garden. When I am not making salsa or have enough of a harvest to pickle and can the jalapenos--I love to make these tasty appetizers.

12 medium jalapeno peppers
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar or Colby Jack)
additional shredded cheese to sprinkle on top of filling
3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
bacon cooked and crumbled
(I use Kirkland bacon bits, but can cook and crumble 2 bacon strips)

Wear disposable gloves and cut jalapenos lengthwise to make a shell. The cheese filling stays in better if you cut a small part of the pepper to make a shell, instead of cutting it into equal halves. I will save the jalapeno tops and put some filling on top for the chef to taste after baking!

Place peppers in boiling water for 7-10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside. The longer the peppers boil the milder they become.

In a small mixing bowl, beat cheeses and Worcestershire sauce until mixed.

Spoon filling into each jalapeno shell, remember the cheese will melt-so don't overfill or it will melt off jalapeno when warmed. Add a small amount of shredded cheese on top of cheese filling. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake 400 degrees 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. um...I don't even know where to start...that looks so YUMMY! I could get so fat and happy on those! I wish I could get a good crop of jalepenos from my garden...maybe you need to post your gardening tips...meanwhile, I'm off to the store with a brand new shopping list... I have a lot of pts to burn after that long run this morning!

    ReplyDelete