Saturday, May 2, 2009

Costco Price Points

I have updated and added items to the Costco price list - Check it out by clicking on Costco on the menu bar.

Since keeping track of Costco prices I have found they raise prices on some of their items when a coupon comes out. Most stores do a similar strategy, raise the price of an item and put it on sale for the item to look like a better deal.

In March Costco raised the price of the Arrowhead water a dollar and the Kirkland brand vitamins were $18.99- both items had a coupon in March. This visit the water was back to the $4.39 price and the vitamins were $15.99. There was a coupon for diapers and wipes this month, and Costco has increased the price of diapers in March. I am watching the price to see if they will reduce the price again and will post if I see the price change.

My strategy for shopping Costco is to shop for staples (flour, sugar, rice, cheese, bread, etc..) These items seem to always be at a good price. When I get a coupon book in the mail, I have started writing the price point in which I would pay for the item. For example Kraft Mac & Cheese had a coupon last month. My price point for the 15 count box was $7.50. (Grocery stores and Wal-mart often put it on sale for $.50 a box.) The Mac & Cheese before the coupon was $9.79 ($.65 a box) after the coupon it was $7.79- my target price was $7.50 so I passed. By writing in the coupon book the price point I was willing to pay, I didn't fall into the trap of buying things because there was a coupon for it.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. Those coupons always suck me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be better about having price points. I am one of those that fall in the trap of buying something just because I have a coupon. The worst is finding out later that it wasn't even a good deal!

    ReplyDelete