Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hydrogen Peroxide to Clean Carpet

I have spent most of the morning trying to get my hallway and some of the stairs clean from my little boy who had diarrhea, leaving a trail for me to know right where it happened.

I tried my Little Green Bissell Machine, a baking soda paste (which helped make it not so stinky!), but there were still pretty bad dark spots on my light carpet. I googled and found that hydrogen peroxide can clean stains out of carpet. I poured a little on the dark spots and let it sit for a few minutes. I did use paper towels to blot up some of the wetness and then used my little green machine do the rest. It worked on most of it. There are two of the darkest spots that are a lot lighter in color, and according to some websites if I wait they will continue to lighten up. I will wait it out and tonight may repeat the process on those two spots. I am pleased with the results, so if you have a problem give this a try.

Some tips:

Try a test area on your carpet first before pouring the hydrogen peroxide on the stain. Just in case it may bleach your carpet. It didn't affect mine and other blogs and web pages that suggested this method had success too without bleaching.

You can just use clean towels to pick up the extra wetness, place the towel over the area and apply pressure until the wetness of the carpet is satisfactory to you. You do not need to use a Bissell or other carpet cleaning machine. I just did because I have one and it was already out.

You may need to repeat the process. Some areas once was enough and some areas I had to do twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment